Horowhenua Mail : October 13th 2011
Reflecting your community THURSDAY, October 13, 2011 Editorial (06) 368 6014 -- Display Advertising (04) 298 5019 -- Fax (04) 298 2073 -- email@example.com -- www.horowhenuamail.co.nz IN BRIEF Cry me a river of gold?, page 3 VOTE 2011 Understanding the MMP referendum, page 4 New craze at Foxton Beach, page 55 INSIDE Kids in crash Three children escaped injury after a Ford stationwagon driven by their mother crashed through a fence before clipping a house and ploughing through another fence. Constable Scott Harvey said no-one was injured in the crash on Kawiu Rd last Thursday at about 8pm. All the children were wearing seatbelts, he said. The 31-year-old woman was taken back to Levin Police Station where she chose to have a blood-alcohol test after blowing almost twice the legal breath-alcohol limit. Mr Harvey said she is facing at least careless driving charges. ''What is of concern to police is driving while under the influence...where the mother was drinking, and why no-one stopped her getting into a car with three young children.'' Hospital break-in A 24-year-old man who allegedly broke into the old Horowhenua Hospital in Liverpool St just before 8pm on Sunday told police he had broken into three cars. He will be charged with theft and burglary. Council turns down Maori ward Horowhenua District Council has voted against establishing a Maori ward, a decision which can be overturned if 5 per cent of voters force a referendum. Speaking in favour of a Maori ward at last week s council meet- ing, councillor David Allan, supported by fellow Kere Kere ward councillor Anne Hunt, said a Maori ward would underpin the principals of the Treaty of Wai- tangi, which defines us as a coun- cil, as it does as a nation . He said if council was serious about being bicultural, and being a voice for Maoridom, it should vote to establish a ward and hold a poll. It would be really neat for our little district to show some leader- ship on this. Council last considered the pro- vision of a Maori ward in 2005, as part of the 2006 Representation Review, and its decision to main- tain the status quo for the 2007 election was not challenged by demand for a poll. Five per cent of voters would be about 1530, based on existing figures supplied by Local Govern- ment Commission. Councillor Nathan Murray, who spoke against establishing a ward, said council already consulted with iwi, as a requirement of the Resource Management Act, and cautioned having just one Maori member to represent two iwi, themselves divided on political issues, potentially leaving some areas feeling marginalised. He said the $60,000 cost of a referendum could not be justified. One of three councillors of Maori descent, Cr Murray said we are now a multicultural society , and council does not stop anyone from standing for election. A report by council staff worked out the district could have one Maori ward, and nine general ward councillors based on popu- lation, and ward boundaries. Currently, Horowhenua has 10 councillors representing four wards. Deadline for voters to demand a poll is February 28, 2012. Toasting water: Otaki MP Nathan Guy, left, clean drinking water campaigner Judy Drake and Mayor Brendan Duffy toast the announcement of a $2 million government subsidy for the upgrade of Shannon's water treatment plant. Water clean-up on way By TANYA WOOD Shannon residents days of boiling drinking water are coming to an end, with $2,137,750 in govern- ment funding approved for an upgraded water treatment plant. Residents have been on a boil water notice for almost two years, and the upgraded plant, including micro filtration, new raw water storage and monitoring equip- ment, will remove dirt and the threat of disease-causing organisms from the water. Horowhenua District Council applied for the maximum 85 per cent of the estimated $2,515,000 project cost, under the Ministry of Health s Drinking Water Subsidy Scheme in April. The remainder of the project cost will be met by council. Designs for the new plant are due to be completed by June next year, and installation complete by November 2013. Mayor Brendan Duffy had told residents, at a public meeting in May, there was no plan B, and council would have to go back to the drawing board if the ministry declined the application. Resident Judy Drake, who with husband Frank, has been campaigning for clean drinking water, for more than 10 years, was at the Mangaore Stream intake on Monday, to toast the official announcement by Otaki MP Nathan Guy with a glass of water from the stream. Mrs Drake said it had been a long fight -- it s been them [coun- cil] and us -- and her only sadness was that husband Frank was too ill to attend the celebration. It s a relief after all these years that it s finally come about. I ve always said infrastructure before beautification. If we don t have water, we don t have life. Shannon Community Action Committee president Mark Webley said the couple had led the fight from day one, coming up to the plant most days with brooms to clear away silt and debris. Mr Webley said although he was delighted with the announce- ment, the project had been long overdue. In 1978 the town undertook a voluntary levy to raise money for the upgrade of the water treat- ment system, but Mr Webley said council had wasted a lot of money from the fund on consul- tants fees over the years. It s the second time we ve applied for funding, but we missed the deadline last time because consultants took too long to get the application right. Mr Guy said it was great news for the people of Shannon who have had to put up with sub- standard drinking water for too long . This is a significant Govern- ment investment of around $4000 per Shannon household. The water subsidy scheme aims to provide safe drinking water for small communities of less than 5000 permanent residents in low- socio economic areas.
October 6th 2011
October 20th 2011